This is an invitation — to Jews, non-Jews, Bible readers and not — to explore some ideas about liberation and join together in figuring out how we are going to get ourselves out of the Narrow Place we’re stuck this year in such a way that we don’t leave our neighbors behind. Some of us are facing a seriously changed Passover in just a few days and are maybe hearing the story we’re repeated so many times in a new way this year. Some of us only recognize the Exodus story from the movies or general popular culture. Either way, we know that we need a new approach. This year, more than ever, we have to stop talking in vague terms about joining hands and marching and instead consider
- Are we prepared to head toward something truly different?
- Will we let go of what we have in order to get there?
- With whom have we joined hands?
- Whom have we left behind?
- Have we been marching toward a liberation that never seems to materialize for so long that we now wonder if it’s worth the upheaval?